Monday, September 23, 2013

Tostones (Fried Green Plantains)

As you know from my previous post, I have a pretty long standing love affair with fried plantains. Wonder Dad and his family introduced them to me while we were still dating and I have looked for ways to include them in our meals ever since.

So I was seriously psyched when I ran across a post over at Everyday Paleo that featured plantains in a way I had never tried before: Tostones!

Usually, when I am frying up a batch of plantains, I go looking for a nice, ripe (brown) plantain. But this recipe calls for the GREEN variety.

With this preparation, you slice up the plantains, fry 'em just a bit to soften up, flatten them, and then fry them again to crisp everything up.

Like the folks over at Everyday Paleo, we topped ours with carnitas - like little tostadas - and they were down right AMAZING! I had found a new way to love plantains!

In fact, I was so enamored, I have served them at 3 more mealtimes just for good measure (and to enjoy this treat before my plantains ripen any further)!

These are super easy and beyond tasty! Here's how you prepare them ...

Tostones (Fried Green Plantains):

Stuff You Need:
  • 2 green plantains
  • 1 cup coconut oil
  • sea salt (for sprinkling)

What To Do:
  1. Peel plantains and slice into 2 inch chunks.
  2. In a deep frying pan over medium heat, melt coconut oil.
  3. Once the oil is hot, add the plantain slices into the oil standing on one end.
  4. Fry until one side is golden brown, flip, and fry the other side until golden brown as well.
  5. Remove from the heat and place on plate lined with paper towels to drain off any excess oil.
  6. One at a time, place between sheets of parchment paper and smash with a plate to about a ¼ inch thick.
  7. Add the flattened plantain patties back to the oil
  8. Sprinkle sea salt, top 'em up, and devour!


We enjoyed these topped with carnitas and salsa, but they also work great just dipped in salsa or guacamole!

I am looking forward to trying all kinds of new toppings for these - I get the feeling that the sky is the limit!

No comments:

Post a Comment