Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Tasty Taters

This one almost sounds too silly to post, but as this is truly a go-to element of my cooking, I feel the need to share it with you today.

Sweet potatoes. Nothing fancy ... just ... sweet potatoes.

Simply put, we eat a LOT of sweet potatoes.

I've never been a fan of the traditional sweet potato casserole dish you might think of when Thanksgiving rolls around. But I absolutely LOVE sweet potatoes that are served crispy and crunchy and a touch salty.


I've been known to broil them, bake them, and sometimes even fry them. But I almost always top them with a healthy sprinkle of sea salt and pepper.

Currently, my favorite way to prepare these orange beauties is to slice them into shoe strings (a good mandolin slicer is key here) and then fry them up in coconut oil.

But if deep frying is not an approved activity in your kitchen, these are just as satisfying when you slice 'em up, coat with coconut oil (or your favorite vegetable oil - we sometimes use olive oil), season 'em up, lay 'em down on a cookie sheet, and broil until you reach your desired crunchiness - which for me is achieved just a few seconds before they burn to a crisp.

So ... no elaborate ingredients or instructions, slice, coat with oil, bake/broil/fry, season, and ENJOY!

I have been known to pair this with beef, chicken, and pork. I've served them on top of a burger patty (wrapped in lettuce). Heck, I've even crumbled them up and sprinkled them on top of deviled eggs.

With this sweet and savory side, you just can't go wrong wherever you add it to your plate!

No comments:

Post a Comment