Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Chorizo Mini-Meatloafs

I'll admit it, I don't think I've ever had a meatloaf I didn't like. My favorite is the dish my mom always made when I was growing up. Her standard fare included ground beef, minced onions, ketchup (with all its sugary goodness), mustard, and crushed Ritz crackers (need I say more?) to stretch the meal enough to feed us all.

But that version is no longer welcome in my kitchen. So what's a girl craving comfort food to do? Well, as I have resorted to doing so often over the last few months, I took this challenge to the web. I finally stumbled on this beauty of an ideas ... chorizo meatloaf! My mouth waters just to read the words.

My concoction is similar to this one found on-line, but with my own preparation methods (I didn't saute the onions or garlic, I changed the amount of almond flour, and I added the bell peppers). In the end, this was a nice treat for us that I am certain will be a regular on our menu.

Momma G's Chorizo Mini-Meatloafs

Stuff You Need:
  • 1 Tbs coconut oil, melted
  • 1 lb extra lean ground beef or ground turkey
  • 1 lb chorizo, casing removed
  • 1 cup minced onion
  • ½ cup diced bell pepper
  • ½ cup almond flour
  • 2 Tbs adobo sauce (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
  • 2 egg whites
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • black pepper and salt to taste
What To Do:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
  2. Prepare tin muffin cups by poking holes in each cup to allow grease drain while cooking. Brush melted coconut oil in the cups to prevent sticking.
  3. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients. It's messy, but using your hands is the best way to get everything distributed just the right way.
  4. Fill each cup with the meat mixture.
  5. Place muffin tin on cooling rack on top of cookie sheet and pop in the oven.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes.
  7. Before serving, I like to place on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up any grease left on the bottom. After just a few minutes they are ready to plate and enjoy!

the first time I made this, we had it for dinner, served with fried plantains and a side salad, but my favorite way to enjoy this little treat is for breakfast, with fried egg whites and some fresh pico de gallo on the side!

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment