Sunday, September 22, 2013

Fried Ripe Plantains (Maduros Fritos)

I was introduced to this sweet treat not long after I met Wonder Dad. His folks are from Ecuador and this was a staple in their kitchen. I have to admit, it was love at first bite.

Not long after we were married, I tried my own hand at this dish and just failed miserably! It took quite a few sub-par attempts before I found out the key to sweet success ... you need BROWN plantains. In fact, it when the plantains start to look like they are going bad (at least compared to a banana, which was my only frame of reference) that they are indeed ripe and ready to fry up!

So here's the down low on this simple yet tasty treat ...

Fried Plantains (Maduros Fritos):

Stuff You Need:
  • 2 very ripe plantains
    (put them in a brown bag and wait a few days if you can only find the ripe ones at your grocery store)
  • 3 Tbs coconut oil
  • cinnamon (for sprinkling)
  • sea salt (for sprinkling)

What To Do:
  1. Peel plantains and slice on the bias (diagonal). I like for mine to be about 1 ½ inches long and ½ inch thick.
  2. Heat skillet over medium heat and add the coconut oil.
  3. Place plantains in skillet and fry about 2-3 minutes on each side, being careful not to burn them.
  4. Remove from the heat and place on plate lined with paper towels to drain off any excess oil.
  5. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sea salt and ENJOY!


These plantains pair well with chicken, beef, and pork alike! I've even chopped them up and put on a side salad!

Regardless of how you serve them, they are such a tasty treat that it's like having dessert for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment