Monday, March 17, 2014

Building a Better Burger

OK. So here I sit again, telling you all about a craving I've had that just wouldn't go away. This time, it was the almighty hamburger that has been calling my name. Perhaps it's due to the gazillion burger commercials on TV. I don't know the reason, but I'll admit that a good burger is one of those dishes that I miss. There are few meals as satisfying as a nice, juicy burger - I don't even need the fries with it. A good burger is satisfaction on a plate, in my book.

So ... what's a Paleo kitchen supposed to do with such a craving? I have tried my hand at several Paleo breads, but none have been truly satisfying.

But then inspiration hit! And I decided to "super size" one of my favorite plantain treats to serve as the "bun" of my Paleo burger. And let me just say now for the record ... this has been one of my better ideas! Check it out!


This burger is only a quarter pound patty, but it was so filling and satisfying that I could only eat about half of it (yay for yummy left overs!). And while, in the future, I may downsize to slider-size, this was an AWESOME Sunday night special supper.

Paleo Burger on Tostones:

Stuff You Need:
  • 2 green plantains
  • 1 cup coconut oil
  • sea salt (for sprinkling)
  • ½ lb extra lean ground beef
  • 2 oz. chorizo
  • ½ cup crushed plantain chips (any other "paleo" chips would work as well)
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • ¼ tsp onion powder
  • ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp yellow mustard
  • 1 tsp agave ketchup

What To Do:
  1. First, we make the plantain "buns". To do that, peel your plantains and slice them in half crosswise.
  2. In a deep frying pan over medium heat, melt your coconut oil.
  3. Once the oil is hot, add the plantain stalks into the oil standing on one end.
  4. Fry until one side is golden brown, flip, and fry the other side until golden brown as well.
  5. Remove from the heat and place on plate lined with paper towels to drain off any excess oil.
  6. One at a time, place your plantain chunks between sheets of parchment paper and smash with a plate to about a ¼ inch thick.
  7. Add the flattened plantain patties back to the oil and fry until crispy and golden brown. Keep an eye on them as this happens pretty quick.
  8. Remove from the oil and place on towel-lined plate to drain.
  9. Sprinkle them with sea salt and set aside while you prepare your burger.
  10. Mix all remaining ingredients in a bowl, divide in half, and shape into quarter pound patties.
  11. Brown both sides in a well-oiled pan. Cook until no pink remains.
  12. Place your burger on one of your plantain patties, add burger fixings (like lettuce, tomato, pickles, and onions), and top with a second plantain patty.
And that's it folks!

Please note ... this is a very calorie dense meal. Usually, when I prepare tostones, I will get at least 3 servings out of a single plantain. Sometimes, I can even get 4 servings. In this recipe, you get only 2 per plantain. So unless your have very small plantains, this will double the number of calories consumed.

With that in mind, we don't serve these with any side dishes.

Regardless, this was truly satisfying and my burger craving is no longer tickling my tongue to be naughty!

No comments:

Post a Comment