Friday, March 28, 2014

Sour Sippers

In our efforts to put only "clean things" into our bodies, we recently gave up most (if not all) of our artificially sweetened drinks. I was enjoying at least one flavored water per day. But it was sweetened with apertame or some other chemical. So it had to go. That left us with water as our primary sipper throughout the day.

And that's fine. We've been drinking primarily water for a good long while.

But every now and then (about 1 meal per day), I really like to have some kind of sweet and/or snappy treat. so I started sampling lemonade recipes. It took a while, and a bit of tinkering, before I found the right sour sipper for me.


Sour Sippers

Stuff You Need:
  • 10 - 14 lemons (enough for 1 cup of lemon juice)
  • 4 - 6 limes (enough for ½ cup lime juice)
  • ½ cup agave nectar
  • 6 cups water
What To Do:
  1. Warm the water on the stove over medium heat. It doesn't need to boil or even simmer, we just want it hot enough to help the agave dissolve.
  2. Add the agave nectar and stir until dissolved.
  3. Add lemon & lime juices, stir until well mixed.
  4. Refrigerate until cold and enjoy!

I like to garnish my drinks with frozen fruit instead of ice cubes. Raspberries and blackberries are my favorites, but pineapple chunks and strawberries are also very flavorful.

I find this to be a nice, snappy, and down right refreshing drink. I have gotten into the habit of enjoying a small glass at lunch each day, especially now that the sun is starting to shine on us again. It's a perfect compliment to a fresh tuna salad or lettuce wrap, but honestly, I enjoy this little treat all on its own. I hope you will as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment