Monday, October 7, 2013

Chocolate Chilli

I have so many recipes lined up to share with you here, but this is one that just can't wait!

This weekend was my first time to prepare it and I can promise you I'll be making it on a regular basis - especially as we enter the cooler months of the year. I give you ...

Chocolate Chilli

Stuff You Need:
  • 2 Tbs coconut oil
  • 2 medium onions, diced
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 6 oz chorizo (casing removed)
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 2 Tbs habanero chili powder
  • 2 Tbs ground cumin
  • 1 ½ Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp ground allspice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 - 6 oz can tomato paste
  • 1 can chopped tomatoes
  • 1 ½ cup beef broth
  • ½ cup water

What To Do:
  1. Heat a large, deep pot over medium-high heat, then add the coconut oil and melt.
  2. Once the oil is melted, add the onions and cook until they are translucent.
  3. Once the onions look clear, add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
  4. Crumbled the ground beef and chorizo into the pan with your hands and mix to combine with onions and garlic.
  5. Continue to cook the meet mixture, stirring frequently, until it is cooked through (no pink remains).
  6. In a small bowl, mix your dry spices. Stir with a fork to combine.
  7. Once the meat has been browned, add your dry spices and mix well.
  8. Next, add the tomato paste. Stir until it has all been absorbed into the meet mixture.
  9. Finally, add the can of tomatoes (with the juice), beef broth, and water. Stir well.
  10. Bring this to a boil, reduce your heat, and simmer for at least 2 hours.


NOTE: this recipe is almost word for word from The Clothes Make the Girl. Her blog slogan is "Train hard. Eat clean. Live loud." Now that is a philosophy I can get behind!

This is my first recipe to try from her site and if the others are anything like this, then I will probably be heading out to get her book: Well Fed: Paleo Recipes For People Who Love to Eat asap!

I did make a few changes though. First, I added the chorizo. I had some on hand that I wanted to use and honestly, I just love the flavor that a little chorizo can add to a dish. Also, I cut the water in half. I like a really thick chilli, so I didn't want to water it down too much. I kept an eye on it while simmering and made sure it wasn't so think that it started to scorch on the bottom. My advice is to know your stove top. If yours runs hot, you might want to add a bit more water just to be sure.

Bottom line - this is an AMAZING recipe (imho). It was an instant hit in our house. We had it for 2 consecutive meals and plan on including it in as many meals as possible until we hit the bottom of the bowl. We have topped it with diced red onions (yum) and sweet potato crisps (double yum) as well. If you are not strict paleo, I'd bet this would be GREAT with some grated cheese on top as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment