Monday, February 3, 2014

Grain Free Tortillas

I know my last post was about flat bread, but the very next day after posting it, I stumbled across THIS recipe for a "true tortilla" over at the Health Starts in the Kitchen blog.

I literally went home and tried the recipe that very night! But alas, I did not have a critical piece of equipment - the tortilla press.

I tried to just roll it out with a pin, but it made the BIGGEST mess. However messy, the results were still very promising. So Wonder Dad and I went out on a hard target search for a tortilla press at our first opportunity and did not come away disappointed.

On Super Bowl Sunday, I decided to christen the new press with a fresh attempt at Hayley's tortillas, with a couple of modifications.

Hayley's Grain-Free Tortillas

Stuff You Need:
  • ½ cup blanched almond flour
  • ½ cup arrowroot powder (+ extra to dust your tortilla press)
  • ¼ tsp sea salt
  • 4 - 6 Tbs water
What To Do:
  1. Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl and mix well.
  2. Add water 1 Tbs at a time just until your dough will hold together. NOTE: Hayley's recipe called for 3 - 4 Tbs of water. I don't know if it is due to the humidity in the air (or lack thereof), the brand of almond flour/arrowroot powder I have been using, or what, but even 4 Tbs was not enough to get my dough to hold together. I ended up using 6 Tbs each time I tried this recipe. So my advise is to do just as suggested, start with just a single Tbs and work your way up until the dough holds together.
  3. Using additional arrowroot powder as needed, divide your dough into 4 equal parts and roll into balls.
  4. Line your tortilla press with plastic shopping bags (see, they're good for SOMETHING) and lightly dust with arrowroot powder.
  5. Press down your ball of dough, peel off the press and place in a cast iron skillet that has been preheated over medium heat.
  6. Cook on each side until it starts to get light brown spots (about 1 - 2 minutes per side).
  7. Top with your favorite toppings and EAT UP!

Please note that, along with changing the amount of water used, I also changed the amount of salt. In fact, I cut it in half from what Hayley had suggested. This is a personal preference. I think it works very well without the added salt, but if you want a bit more zest in your tortilla, then feel free to add a bit more.

Like the flat bread recipe, this one is super simple and features only a handful of ingredients. They come together pretty quickly and the results are super tasty! I hope you will enjoy them as much as I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment