Monday, January 27, 2014

Fabulous Flat Bread

One of the hardest adjustments I have had in switching to a primarily grain-free diet has been the loss of bread at my meals. And of the breads I have had to abandon, tortillas were probably the hardest. Sure, I love a good yeast roll as much as the next gal, but to be honest, I rarely had those in the house. However, tortillas were featured in about 3 of every 5 meals I made. So you can understand why the loss has frustrated me.

I've tried my hand at a number of Paleo breads and such. And while I've found a few that I like, in general they still pale in comparison to the "real thing."

That is, until I stumbled on this recipe from Ashley over at My Heart Beets.


Ashley's recipe is as easy as it is yummy! Which means adding it to a meal only takes a few extra minutes and the result is SO worth it. Be sure to click on over and check out her original recipe as I make a couple of changes that suit our family a bit better.

Fabulous Flat Bread

Stuff You Need:
  • almond flour (in equal proportion to the tapioca flour)
  • tapioca flour (in equal proportion to the almond flour)
  • milk
  • salt (optional)
What To Do:
  1. Put almond flour and tapioca flour in a bowl and combine - I use a wire whisk for this.
  2. Stir in milk until it reaches the consistency of pancake batter.
  3. Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat and pour batter to desired thickness.
  4. Once the batter fluffs up and looks firm/mostly cooked, flip it over to cook the other side.
OK. So unlike Ashley's recipe and my usual post, you'll notice there are no quantities listed.

First off, Ashley's recipe makes only 2 servings and as a family of 3, I typically need a bit more than that. Secondly, I tend to prepare this as a substitute for tortillas. And as such, I tend to thin out my batter just a bit more than originally suggested. And lastly, Ashley's recipe features full fat coconut milk. And as I have admitted before, I just don't care for coconut milk (or almond milk for that matter). We have kept regular dairy milk in our diet, so that is why you see it here. You should note that coconut milk tends to be thicker, so you will end up needing more of it than dairy milk - check out Ashley's version for the proportions she uses. SO ... that's a drawn out way to say, in this case, I like doing this by sight rather than exact measure.

I tend to use ¾ cup each of almond flour and tapioca flour. To that I will add about ½ cup of milk. It may take a little more or a little less, so I will usually start with ¼ cup of milk, mix that up with the dry ingredients, and then add more as needed until my batter is slightly thinner than pancake batter. Thinning out the batter makes it easier to prepare a nice, thin tortilla-like flat bread.

Next we need to talk about the salt. You'll note that it is marked optional. When I prepare this flat bread as a tortilla substitute, the salt is absolutely necessary! And in that case, I will add about ¼ tsp to the flour mixture before pouring the milk. If I am making this to serve with jam and nut butter (a FANTASTIC way to enjoy this bread, btw) then I like to leave it out. Without the salt, you get to enjoy a nice sweet taste that pairs very well with nut butter and/or jam.

This flat bread is quick and easy. It fills a void that has been sorely missed in my meals. And it tastes OUT OF THIS WORLD!

I hope you will enjoy it as much as I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment